Thursday, January 3, 2008

Following inspiration, or insight?

So every time I sit down to create, I learn something - and even when projects turn out differently than I had planned, I get something out of it. I completed this layout today to participate in a contest at www.scrappinwithgrace.com
The challenge was to complete a one page layout with at least 5 photos reflecting on 2007. I printed out the photos last night, and had a layout plan in my head, but have been sick, and was just too tired to scrap, so I went to bed. I could not breathe this morning, and got up at 5:30 am and decided to start scrapping. At some time during the night, the contents of my scrap room must have shifted, and a bag of items I have not seen in ages (and frankly forgot existed) somehow ended up on the floor. The bag included a ruler and tape measure, and a grid stamp. I figured that it must be meant for me to use these items, and decided to use them as inspiration for my page layout. Now, I am really not sure if I like this page, and it is definitely far from my "style". Throughout the day ( and yes I struggled with this nearly all day) I thought about turning back and starting over, and doing something that felt more comfortable and safe - you know, floral or whimsical...but I stuck with it, and I have decided that even though it will never be a favorite page, it is good for me to try new things, and step outside my comfort zone. And I am sharing it with you because someone may find something they like and are inspired by.

Other things I learned - time to clean the scrap room and get organized so things don't fall on the floor and "inspire" me unnecessarily! lol

The patterned paper, ruler, tape measure and grid stamp are Club Scrap; cardstock and ink are Stampin Up!; ghost letters are Heidi Swapp; other supplies used: acrylic paint, staples, washers, drywall tape, hinges.

1 comment:

Nicole said...

Well I think it turned out cool. Love how you created your 2007!